Skip to main content

Mother’s Day

5/13/13

 I don’t intend to write this to have a pity party. I mostly write these things to get them off my chest and to know that I have a place I can write my feelings that is safe.

 So I have been married to my wonderful husband Ty for 15 years now and he has been a firefighter during almost that entire time. He has done wild land firefighting, he is done paged out firefighting and he has worked in several different cities. I know what it takes to be a firefighters wife and I’ve known since the day that we got married that it would be difficult.  For example the week after we got married he was doing wild land and was gone for 14 days and then would come home for another 8 to 10 days and then be gone again.

 Time has passed and now we have five kids and a dog and our life is quite busy. For some reason today, on Mother’s Day I got very emotional and felt very lonely. Today is our oldest daughters birthday and she turned five. Her daddy was at work and I, like usual, had to try to get all five kids dressed and ready to go to church.  They were fighting me more than normal. (Normal on Sunday’s is crazy)  Our two youngest would not get dressed I was stressed out and had no help. Then it  continued with everyone at church, that I could tell, sitting with their spouses and getting that help that the mom usually needed to keep the kids at bay.  Throughout the church sessions I could tell it wasn’t really helping all of the things that people were talking about. I just kept feeling more lonely. I know that my husband loves me and would do anything to make me feel happy, but for some reason this Mother’s Day was just extremely sad not having him there to keep me strong.

 Being a mom nowadays is really kind of hard. The kids are expected to work harder and no more at school. The moms are expected to raise the kids to be respectful adults, help them with their homework, and also keep the home in order. Also with the pay of firefighters we now also have to work away from the home just to pay the bills on time and keep food on the table.

I know that all the calls that he goes on are stressful and they need a place that they can relieve that stress. Most of the time the guys keep it to themselves or workout at the gym, but I make sure that Ty tells me as much as he can so that that stress is being spread out and not all on him.  We try to talk things through whether it’s at home or over a quick phone call before he tries to get a nap in and I go to bed. I love him so much and hope that we can always work things out together and push on through the hard times, and try to enjoy the good times as much as possible.